Banquet Photos
Me and my small group with our mentor, Chad
Goofing around...
Me with Katey and Brittnay, two sweet girls I met at Wheatstone, and my other dear friend Katie whom I have known for several years.
After being away from home for a week, I was so glad to see my family again!
Photos from the UCI Ropes Course on Epic Monday...

Climbing to the top...I am the highest climber in this photo.

Yes, that's me, Karissa (in the pink shirt), the girl who is afraid of heights walking across a wire 50 feet up in the air! It was so scary!
From July 6 to July 11, I (Karissa) was gone at a conference called Wheatstone that was held at Biola University. Wheatstone is "A community of Christians dedicated to equipping students in mind and heart to change culture for the sake of Jesus Christ." This conference is for young adults ages 15 to about 19. Basically at this conference I attended lectures and book discussions all day. Now I know that that sounds really boring, but it was so beneficial. It really got my brain to think, and to re-evaluate how I am living my life for Christ. I felt very convicted after our main speaker, Dr. Reynolds spoke about daily devotions. He said that we (the Wheatstone students) are young adults now, and we should be doing devotions for at least an hour a day. I now realize that my formal personal fifteen minutes of "ritual" Bible devotions is not enough to satisfy my thirsty soul. My soul is longing for more knowledge...and to be filled with goodness, beauty and truth.
Although there were a lot of them, Wheatstone wasn't all lectures and discussions. We also did a ropes course, played challenging team-building games, visited the Getty Museum, listened to a private Choral performance, watched a live performance of Shakespeare's Henry V, and even went to Disneyland one night for a few hours. Wheatstone wanted us not only to hear about beauty, goodness, and truth, but to experience it. Yes, our week was very packed...
At Wheatstone all of the students were broken into little groups of seven or eight students and were guided by a mentor throughout the week. Since I would always hang out with my small group, we grew really close and had lots of fun times throughout the week. I met some very sweet Christian girls. Everyone was so sad when the week was over and everyone had to go their separate ways. "Parting is such sweet sorrow..."
I know that Wheatstone is definitely going to be the highlight of my summer as I look back at the summer of 08 in the years to come. I would like to thank my mom and dad so much for allowing me to go. If you are 15-19 years old, or if you know somebody in this age group tell them that they have to attend Wheatstone Academy next summer, even if you have to fly to in! Lord willing, I am going to attend every summer as long as I can...I'm already looking forward to next year!
Check out Wheatstone Academy at: wheatstoneacademy
Posted by Karissa <3
No comments:
Post a Comment