
I had looked forward to this for weeks, and finally today was the day...the day that I was going to make whole wheat bread! When I grow up I totally want to be a Mother and a homemaker. I want to make homemade bread once a week like in the Little House On the Prairie books. We have made bread before, (cornbread, biscuits, and we have a delicious banana bread recipe from a friend)but never good whole wheat bread. (Strawberry bread is next on my list)
Well, today my mom started assembling the ingredients for the bread. She discovered that we only had a pinch of whole wheat flour left. (Kind of a problem when you want to make whole wheat bread) A dear sister, who shall remain anonymous, forgot to put whole wheat flour on the list...sigh. I put away the bread ingredients, heartbroken and dejected. (I'm exaggerating just a bit) :)
A little while later I pulled out our family recipe book and started to look at the different bread recipes. I found a Better Homes and Gardens magazine recipe for zucchini bread. Well, we just happened to have a zucchini that one of my dad's co-workers had organically grown and generously given to us. I set to work to make zucchini bread with a new hope in my heart.
We had all the ingredients for the bread (excluding the raisins and nuts, but we didn't want those anyways) except for apple sauce. We had apples, so I looked through several cookbooks for an apple sauce recipe. I made the apple sauce and it tasted really yummy. It was more like apple pie filling than apple sauce, though.
Finally, to start making the bread! I washed the zucchini and started to slice off the squishy parts.(They were a little too ripe.) As I inspected and tasted the zucchini, I discovered that it was cucumber! Another letdown. After I had made the apple sauce too. Mom came over and said to try to make the bread anyway and just cut down the amount of cucumbers. We thought the taste would just be subtle. So I did. When the bread came out of the oven it looked beautiful, all golden and crisp on the top. The bread tasted good...if you like cucumber flavored bread. Yuck! The cinnamon/sugar top tasted really good, but the bread was not very tasty. My anonymous sister, Kourtney, sure ate a lot of the bread for saying that she didn't like it that much. (She says that she feels sick right now.)
I ate probably equivalent to two slices of bread. I am totally cumcumbered out! Yuck! Mikyla suddenly decided that she wanted to make homemade pickles... more cucumbers! :( The pickles are currently in the refrigerator, untasted. I am sure that they will be eaten, however, as soon as they are chilled.
All of this talk about cucumbers and homemade pickles reminds me of an Andy Griffith episode that we recently watched called "The Pickle Story". I'm not going to tell the whole story (this post is long enough as it is), but in the episode Aunt Bea makes horrible pickles and Andy, Barney, and Opie eat all 8 jars of them so that they don't hurt Aunt Bea's feelings. The episode is hilarious!
Hope the rest of your day runs as cool as a cucumber!
~Posted by Karissa <3
No comments:
Post a Comment