
To commemorate our favorite president's 200th birthday we celebrated by creating our annual Lincoln book display and making Lincoln hats (mint thins and chocolate covered marshmallows) for the girls' American Literature class.
Following are some favorite quotes from good old Abe.
"...I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."
"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it."
"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy."
"I have not permitted myself, gentlemen, to conclude that I am the best man in the country; but I am reminded, in this connection, of a story of an old Dutch farmer who remarked to a companion once that 'it was not best to swap horses while crossing streams'."
"Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."
Can't wait to meet you in heaven President Lincoln.
No comments:
Post a Comment