Pages

Friday, May 8, 2009

A Visit to Maylie's Orphanage and We Are Forever Changed

Today we traveled to Maylie's orphanage with Jenna's family.Upon
arrival we met the director and several staff members.
This beautiful table awaited us with exotic fruit and tea!

This is the same spot were Maylie's update photos were taken.
Zhongshan City Children's Welfare Institute - Home to 500 children


Maylie was quiet at our first arrival but excited to see her nannies. After the tea we went up four levels to visit Maylie and Jenna's classmates. Maylie was literally mobbed by her little friends. They were so excited to see Maylie and Jenna and all the parents (and I think they knew we had treats for them.) Maylie was overwhelmed briefly by the over excited children and shed a few tears which only lasted for a few seconds.
Maylie and Jenna passing out treats to their precious friends.
Two of Maylie's beloved nannies.



Maylie's former playground.
Beauty
The director, staff, nannies, children, & our family.
The children were crowding around for more treats so Maylie
took authority and told them to line up in a queue!

Walking her friends to lunch.
Sweetness

When we left the lunch room there were literally about four nannies hugging Maylie and shedding many tears. These nannies loved. loved. Loved Maylie.
Maylie's former bed.



Several times since Gotcha Day we feel like pinching ourselves to prove this all isn't a dream. How did we get Maylie? How did we get so blessed? We have done nothing good. God has done everything great. All we did was receive this precious gift. What good and gracious gifts our Heavenly Father gives His children!
After lunch and on their way to naptime.
One more kiss goodbye.




I have always heard it is life changing to visit your child's orphanage. I know some parents wisely discern that it would not be in the best interest of their child to visit their orphanage. I am so grateful it worked out for us. It was probably the most emotional experience I have ever had. I couldn't stop crying on the ride home. I just felt like flying home to America and shouting from the rooftops "Please adopt a precious orphan or support someone called to adopt!"
We are forever changed.

I'm stealing the following quote from another adoptive family's blog: www.amorisadenzel.blogspot.com

A Franciscan Benidiction: "May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your heart. May God bless you with an anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom, and peace. May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you can reach out your hand to comfort them and to turn their pain into joy. And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done."

13 comments:

strandfam said...

Tears oh the tears! Joy for Maylie, tears for all the other children that may not know the love of a family! Thanks for sharing Lydia. I am so thankful you were able to go and see where Maylie spent the first 4 years of her life. What a gift it will be to you forever!I know it changed each of you. Seeing Esther's SWI was the most emotional day for me, I also couldn't stop crying. Thanks for sharing the beautiful quote, it is so true. May we never get comfortable. Praising Jesus for handpicking Maylie for your family. What a treasure she is! Love you friend, and I am praying for you

Lexie said...

Oh my goodness!! What absolutely precious pictures! We have all been blessed by adoption! It is a beautiful thing.

Loving all these pictures of your sweet girl...she is so so so so precious!
Lexie

Naomi said...

Okay I am crying again!!!! What a BEAUTIFUL post. I love all the pictures of all Maylie's little friends!! I am so touched by all that you wrote!!

(Please Lord bring our TA so that we can go and experience this!!!!!!)

Chanda said...

Hi Steve & Lydia - we're also with AWAA and almost made your travel group (waiting for TA now) but I recently posted a message asking opinions about orphanage visits. How nice to read your post and get confirmation of what I thought and how I was leaning. What a wonderful trip for you and know your post has blessed us!

Ginny said...

Thank you so much for sharing these. I have loved following your blog this week. Our daughter Ruthie is in Chongqing and the pictures of her orphanage look nice too. I know you must feel so happy to know that Maylie was taken good care of and loved while she was there. I wish on our trip to Chongqing we could go and pick a few of Maylie's friends to bring home too. :)

Anonymous said...

Because of you, I start my day in tears...awesome tears of joy.
Thank you for this gift.
Auntie LB

Silvia said...

Dear Lydia,

It has been so much fun...I just learned of you about a week ago through Joyful Life. I have been so blessed to see what the Lord is doing in your and your beautiful family's life...and it has brought tears of joy to me and my family as we read and see the pictures. I am praying. The Lord is truly an awesome God! So glad that we are His!!

In Him.
Silvia Barrios

Naomi said...

GOOD MORNING TO YOU IN GUANGZHOU!!!

JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT WE RECEIVED TA TODAY 8TH MAY AND WILL BE IN CHINA IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS LORD WILLING!!!!!!

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT IS HAPPENING.....THANK YOU JESUS!!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRAYERS.

Clint and Jennifer said...

Wow, that was an awesome quote... I wonder if I might "borrow" it too, of course, giving credit to you and the original blog owners that posted it. Isn't that what we truly do need God to bless each of us with?

Thank you for sharing your amazing journey. It's so wonderful to see and hear how God has blessed your family through Maylie's adoption. She's such a precious doll. I remember feeling so many of the same feelings you've described with our adoption, and I still have to pinch myself!
God is so good.

Jennifer

Elizabeth Bergeron said...

Awsome quote!! I will give a copy to my DH for our blog. Adoption is a life changing experience!!

www.achildshopeintl.org

Shiloh Strang said...

We are loving everything we are seeing about your adoption!! What a blessing! The girls want me to ask you to re-route your trip home and stop off in Portland to visit and do the "Bring Me Hope" Night Walk with us on May 15th! Cute, huh?

God bless the rest of your trip!
Love,
The Strangs

Sarah said...

Such beautiful children. We always say, "This may be the last one." But our hearts are continually drawn to these precious children of God.

Thank you for sharing this quote.

Blessings,
Sarah

Lesa said...

Hello from the Strand's blog. I'm so happy to see these photos. What a lovely orphanage. Not all are as beautiful as this one. She was truly loved by all you can tell.
It is sad to see so many children who could be with families having to say goodbye to their friend.
We have been waiting now for nearly 3 years and a month for our Referral. This is such an uplifting post.
Feel free to come and visit ours. We have been sort of out of commission from being ill, but I'm going to try to do a post later today to try and catch up.
You are such a lovely family and so very lucky to have each other now.
Lesa